Friday, July 19, 2013

Defending the Sanctity of Life

This is my last topic of the semester and I'm really sad about it! I've loved blogging about a lot of these topics and I've appreciated some of the feedback I've received from a few people. I'm happy to make a difference in just one person's life!

My final topic is one that I feel very strongly about, especially due to the media attention it is receiving in Texas lately.

The Family: A Proclamation to the World, states, "We affirm the sanctity of life and its importance in God's eternal plan."

So what then is life?

The textbook says, "The etymology of the Old English word for life includes meanings such as 'body; and 'person,' or that which 'remains' and 'continues.' Life can be defined as a condition of sustained regenerative activity, energy, expression, or power that human beings and other animate creatures experience." (p.291)

What is abortion?

The roots of the word "abort" come from Latin. "Ab" translates to "off, away," and "or-ri" translates to "arise, appear, come into being."
"To abort literally means to 'cut off the existence of someone' or to 'cause someone to disappear."

In 1996, Mother Teresa said, "Many people are deeply concerned with the children of India, with the children of Africa where quite a few die of hunger. Many people are also concerned about all the violence in this great country of the United States. These concerns are very good. But often these same people are not concerned with the millions who are being killed by the deliberate decision of their own mothers. And this is what is the greatest destroyer of peace today - abortion, which brings people to such blindness. By abortion, the mother kills even her own child to solve her problems. And, by abortion, the father is told that he does not have to take any responsibility at all for the child he has brought into the world. That father is likely to put other women into the same trouble. So abortion leads to abortion. Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love but to use violence to get what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion."

I'm going to leave my post there, and I want to direct you to an article I read that has changed a lot of lives and also solidified a lot of people's beliefs about being pro-life. I strongly encourage you to take the time to read it! Click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment