Friday, September 30, 2011

New Day, New Life

I spent well into the early hours of the morning this morning at the hospital with my pregnant sister. We're fortunate enough to be able to live in the same small town, and I was able to be there for the birth of my brand new nephew very early this morning.

While we were waiting, I was thinking about the idea of the family and the different units within it. My sister and brother in law have a daughter who is two and a half. The process of introducing their new son into the family is going to affect the different subsets within their family. Right now, there are subsets between my sister and her husband, and between both of them and their daughter, Sophie. We were all talking about how it's going to be a rough adjustment for Sophie, and I think that's because of the change that will take place with the subsets. My sister and brother in law have already formed, and will continue to form, their relationships with their son, and their subsets with Sophie will be affected by that.

I'm really interested to watch and see how their family dynamic will change due to the new infant that's been brought into the world!
For now, I have to get back to the hospital to visit with my new nephew :)

No comments:

Post a Comment